Tips for Decorating and Staging a Guest Room
For those of you lucky enough to have a spare bedroom for guests, here are some excellent tips for decorating or staging that room.
- Provide a warm, comfortable duvet. It doesn't have to be a specific brand. Be aware that many people are allergic to goose and feather down, so you might
want to offer something that won't cause any potential respiratory problems.
Make sure the room has a good mirror, in addition to the bathroom mirror. Full length would be ideal.
- Place a reading light on each side of the bed. The kind that narrows the light to a tight area and that has an articulated arm works best so that one person
can read in bed without bothering their partner.
- A working alarm clock is a must.
- Good reading books will help fill in the time when there's nothing to do and no place to go. Add a decorative pad of paper and sharpened pencils near the
- A small vase of fresh flowers is a beautiful touch and adds fragrance and color to the room.
- Supply a choice of pillows. Allow guests to choose from a firm pillow, a soft pillow or a hypoallergenic pillow.
- A good working TV. It doesn't have to be real large, but you need to supply one.
- An eye mask, earplugs and blackout curtains are optional.
- Several skirt or pants hangers are a must. A luggage rack is also a nice touch.
- When entering the room, guests appreciate the beauty. But once inside the room, the appreciate the practical touches.
- A plunger under the bathroom sink is a must.
- An iron and ironing board tucked away in the closet will be appreciated.
- A lock on the door goes without saying.
- A CD player with a nice selection of music will be appreciated.
- One or two bathrobes will really say you care, but not as much as a sparkling bathroom and dustfree sleeping area.
- Fill a vintage suitcase or large basket with portable essentials (soap, deodorant, disposable camera, sun hat, sunscreen, bagged healthy treats).
- Supply an assortment of jackets in the closet. A raincoat in rainy climates.
Ten Simple Tips for Decorating a Bathroom
Redesigning Your Bath
Concepts for Remodeling a Bathroom
A Potpourri of Redesign and Home Staging Tips
Complete List of Tips
Get free decorating tips for your home or the homes of your clients ($147 value). Send a blank email to our List Manager and you'll
be added automatically, but you must CONFIRM your subscription request. A request for confirmation will be sent to the email address you provide. We are a
spam-free site and will never sell, trade or give away your email address to anyone for any purpose.
Home Staging Newsletter
Be encouraged in your home staging or redesign business
by visiting our Daily Blogs. We will give you tips and ideas to grow your
business, plus encourage you along the way. We also have one on general decorating as well.
Home Staging Blog
Interior Redesign Blog
Contact & Copyright
Barbara Jennings is the leading interior redesign and home staging trainer on the internet. West Coast pioneer of interior
redesign, she is author of 9 books on decorating, staging and redesign. Jennings is a high respected professional interior decorator, author, artist and
corporate art consultant since 1983. Copyright 2000-Present